top of page
Hands Up

How to report a sexual offence to the police 

Sexual violence, sexual assault or sexual abuse can be reported to the police no matter how long ago the incident happened. This can be a daunting thing to do, so below is information to assist in what would likely happen as you make a report, and how you can receive further support throughout the investigation. 

How to report an incident to the police 

call 101

101 is a national, non-emergency phone number that can be contacted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can contact 101 to make a report or to ask for advice.

visit your local police station

If you would like to speak to an officer in person, police stations are a comfortable, safe and confidential space to do so. Click the link below to find your local police station

Report online

If you would prefer to report online, click the button below.

call 999

If you are in an emergency situation, or if somebody is injured, call 999. If you need to call 999 and you cannot speak, click the link below for more information 

Once you have made the report to the police, an ISVA will be able to support you throughout the investigation process. An ISVA can offer emotional and practical support, including being a point of contact to and from the police, attend any hearings with you, as well as offering imartial support and advice. An ISVA is independent from the police, courts and other agencies.


To be referred into the SAIL ISVA service, or for more information, please call us on 01246 559889 or email us on Please do NOT include any information or details of the case on the referral. We aim to contact you within 3 working days. 

Click here for more information regarding what will happen after making the initial report *

* This link will take you off of SAIL Derbyshire's site and to the Derbyshire Constabulary site.

SAIL white transparent.png


  • Instagram
  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Twitter Icon
bottom of page